Saturday, May 2, 2015

Tower Hill State Park, Ferry Bluff State Natural Area & Natural Bridge State Park

Today, I took my friend Angie exploring with me to three different areas that were all within an hour of her home. Her favorite place to hike is Devil’s Lake State Park and while I agree it’s stunning, I wanted to show her that there were other areas in Sauk County worth seeing.



Tower Hill State Park

Our first stop was Tower Hill State Park. Even though it’s May, the park was “closed for the season.” Surely, they didn’t mean us. We parked a quarter mile down the highway and hiked in.




The hike was beautiful and had all the elements I love – rock ledges, hills, views and color (I’m obsessed with the color green right now). 

We were never quite where I thought we were when we came across directional signs (perhaps the park was closed so they could fix the signs).  



While there are lots of areas of historical significance in the park (something to do with manufacturing shot for the Civil War), we were there for the views.

From the Mill Creek that ran below to the rock ledges to the nearby swamp -- the area is pretty much stunning.

Mill Creek
While at the park we came across a group of five older women who were staying at the nearby House on the Rock Resort. They were loud, chatty and entertaining (and they also felt the “closed” sign was merely a suggestion). Angie and I saw them a few times along our hike (not hard to do since there are less than 2 miles of trails that keep intersecting with each other).

One of my favorite moments was when Angie and I neared an area called the “Shot Tunnel” which is at the base of a steep cliff and somehow involved with the historical building above. 

The trail to the shot tunnel.
As we approached the tunnel, we heard frantic screaming and the five women came running from it flailing and shrieking. I wish I had it on video.

Shot Tunnel
Apparently, there was something living inside.

Naturally, I wanted to see for myself. I suppose it would be more apt to say I wanted to see it without seeing it. While not afraid of the dark, I am afraid of getting attacked by things I can’t see (you should see me in a haunted house – I scream curse words like a trucker). As far as I could tell there was nothing here to be afraid of. It’s Wisconsin for crying out loud. It was a beautiful day and I was hiking with my friend. Living creatures are harmless, right? (Don’t get me wrong, I’m not Grizzly Man, I was just convinced it was a bunny.) I entered the cave with the assumption that Angie had my back. Of course, I eventually learned she had my far back and never really left the cave entrance.  

I honestly can’t say if there was anything living back there or not.  The darker the cave got, the less confident my murmurs of “I’m okay, we’re doing great, I’m okay” sounded.

Can't tell if there is anything living back in that hay.
Angie guarding the tunnel entrance. She's got my back.
Without a flashlight, I eventually chickened out.

Back in the daylight, this area of the park is incredible with the sheer number of birds flying around and rock formations. The cliffs are filled with nests and the birds dance to the sounds of chirping and insects.









Even though the park didn’t have many trails to hike, and I will always wonder what the heck was in the back of the shot tunnel, it was a lovely destination and absolutely worth the trip.  I will return with a flashlight someday.

Side note: On the hike along the highway back to the car I saved Angie from stepping on a recently deceased squirrel. It was not pretty. Let's just say that at least one of us has got the other's back. Just sayin'.


Ferry Bluff State Natural Area

We drove from Spring Green to the Ferry Bluff State Natural Area using Highway 60. The drive itself is beautiful with winding roads over rolling hills and surrounded by farmlands. For whatever reason, other drivers felt really confident with all the twists and turns and did not appreciate the fact that I was only going 5 over the speed limit. I am confident that the no passing zones were making the other drivers agitated. I eventually found a driveway to pull into and let all the suicidal drivers go by.

Ferry Bluff State Natural Area was not as easy to find as I had hoped, mostly because it’s not marked along the highway.

As a matter of fact the only reason we found it is because Angie mentioned how interesting it was to pass a street named after the place we were going to.

Cue u-turn.

The road from the highway to the Ferry Bluff State Natural Area is about a mile long and it is not gentle.  



It’s gravel and one lane and there are no parking spots at the end. You merely have to park along the roadside and hope people leave enough room to let you out when your done with your hike. 

The hike is short (less than a half mile) and pretty much goes up to the top of the bluff. People have told me how easy this hike is; however, I would not recommend it for everyone – like leave grandma and grandpa at home. It’s kind of steep (although not nearly as steep as some of the other hikes I’ve done over the past few weeks – Perrot State Park comes to mind).

The view is AMAZING.    

You can see for miles standing along a rock ledge 300 feet over the Wisconsin River.  


The trees are green and the water was absolutely perfect.  No one else was there when Angie and I arrived at the top so we simply sat along the ledge and enjoyed the view while we each took about a dozen identical photos.


After we hiked back down, we took a similarly short path along the riverbed.




Back at the dead end of Ferry Bluff Road, I maneuvered a 6-point turn to get out of my parking spot and we were off to our next stop.

How do so many people know about this place?


Natural Bridge State Park

I confess I had somewhat low expectations of Natural Bridge State Park. The significance of this park is its history. Archaeologists found artifacts of people living there dating back 12,000 years. While that is impressive, it’s not necessarily going to make for a pretty hike.

As it turns out the area is charming and serene; albeit, pretty much in the middle of nowhere.



The park is named for the stone arch that crosses over the home of the ancient dwellers. The arch is a cool marvel to see (even if you can’t climb on or over it).  It’s covered in initials and names as numerous generations have carved their marks into the limestone.







As it turns out there were lots of families with kids and dogs in the area so we did not stay long.

Angie and I also hiked up a very steep embankment to a scenic overlook (only to discover we were not on the actual path and the way we took was much harder than it needed to be). 

Not a path
The view was mediocre. It was hard to focus on it because a couple lay on the ground canoodling on the other side of the fence covered in “Stay on the Trail” signs. Aca-awkward.
 
Below this photo's edge is a canoodling couple.
Other than the cozy couple, it was a great and full day. 

Angie and me


STATS:
Tower Hill State Park
Trailhead Location: Hiked in from small parking lot on CTH C, Tower Hill is located at 5808 CTH C, Spring Green, WI 53588
Trails Hiked: Hard to say
Elevation Gain: 253 feet
Distance: 2.25 miles
Time: 1 hour (including photo ops)
Type of Trail: Loop
Temperature: 70 degrees and sunny




Ferry Bluff State Natural Area
Trailhead Location: Ferry Bluff Road, Sauk City, WI 53583
Trails Hiked: Bluff and River Trails
Elevation Gain: 246 feet
Distance: 1.15 miles
Time: 35 minutes (including photo ops)
Type of Trail: Out and Back
Temperature: 73 degrees and sunny




Natural Bridge State Park
Trailhead Location: Natural Bridge State Park, E7792 CTH C, North Freedom, WI 53951
Trails Hiked: Indian Moccasin Nature Trail
Elevation Gain: 167 feet
Distance: 1 mile
Time: 30 minutes (including photo ops)
Type of Trail: Loop
Temperature: 75 degrees and sunny